Writing Your Story
How mentoring can help you
Professional one-on-one memoir mentoring offers numerous benefits. As a first step, I invite you to briefly reflect on what help you require, and why you want to write your story:
- Do you want to write your life story generally, or about a specific part of your life such as a relationship, career or travel, or about an illness or traumatic experience? Do you have a special message to deliver?
- Do you need help getting started? Have you accomplished some initial work and seek advice on how to proceed?
- Have you completed your work and want to refine it, for your own satisfaction, or perhaps you want to obtain advice on sharing your story with others?
- Why do you want to write your story and who is your envisaged audience?
- How do you plan to share your story? Online, self-publish as an e-book, or paperback? Or submit your manuscript to a publisher?
- What kind of mentoring are you looking for? For emotional support, writing skills, editing expertise?
As your writing mentor, I can assist with every stage of preparation.
For instance, I provide:
- Emotional support and encouragement in planning, writing and completing your memoir;
- Guidance in resource gathering and mapping your narrative;
- Assistance with writing techniques;
- Final editing and checking;
- Understanding and support throughout the entire process of creating your story – the process of writing is as important as the completed manuscript. With a mentor, the benefits can be many and ongoing.
At all times you may expect:
- Clear and objective editing and responses.
- Overviews, taking into account your literary work’s weaknesses and strengths.
- Guidance on improving literary and research methods and developing narrative skills.
- Prompt turnaround of submitted work.
- Opportunity for regular discussion via email, Skype, Zoom, or phone.
- Support tailored to guide you to that magical moment when you hold a printed copy of your memoir and celebrate your achievement.
Your initial consultation, to discuss how I can assist you in creating your memoir, is free. Following the initial consultation, we will discuss the fee, which is payable in advance, and work will begin on your very own literary Everest.