Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of writing my story with a mentor?
Professional one-on-one memoir mentoring offers numerous benefits. As a first step, I invite you to briefly reflect on what help you require:
- Do you want to write your life story generally, or about a specific part of your life such as a relationship, career or travel, or about an illness or traumatic experience? Do you have a special message?
- Why do you want to write your story and who is your envisaged audience?
- How do you plan to share your story? Online, self-publish as an e-book, or paperback? Or submit your manuscript to a publisher?
- What kind of mentoring are you looking for? For example, I offer help in deciding your story’s main themes, the timespan, the chapter sequence, the structure, and complete copy editing.
As your writing mentor, I can assist with every stage of preparation. For instance, I provide:
- Emotional support and encouragement in getting started and completing your memoir;
- Guidance in resource gathering and mapping your narrative;
- Assistance with writing techniques;
- Draft editing, followed by final editing and checking;
- Help with the entire writing process, from planning to completion of the manuscript.
Will anyone else care about my story?
Everyone has a story to tell and people’s motivations for writing their story differs. Some of my clients do not intend to publish their story but wish to use writing as a way to better understand themselves, or to explain themselves to others, or for preserving as a family keepsake.
What is the difference between a memoir and an autobiography?
A memoir contains emotions, and may be quite intimate in covering a specific theme, or period, in the writer’s life, while an autobiography is more chronological, documenting the writer’s life experiences.
How many hours will you require to edit my manuscript?
Before agreeing to work together, I will assess your manuscript and provide you with an estimate of what is needed and how many hours this work is likely to take.
How can I arrange to receive your mentoring support?
Reach out via my book a mentoring session form to organise an initial consultation. During this session, we will learn more about each other, discuss how I can assist you with your needs, and decide if we are a good fit to work together.
Is it best to have a draft manuscript before starting to work with you?
I work with clients who have completed their first manuscript draft and others who need help to start mapping and writing their story. I can work with you through every stage of the writing process.
What if I don't have diaries or journals to draw content from? Can I still write my story?
Yes, I will guide you through a number of tasks that will help you to determine what you’d like to write about and why. We will do tasks that are fun and that help to reignite old memories for you.
I have not written a story since schooldays but my family wants me to write my memoir. Can you help?
Yes, I have worked with clients who had little writing experience in adulthood but through our work together, have proceeded to write a treasured keepsake for their family.
I want to write a story with my son/daughter/mother/father – can you help?
Yes, I have written a number of books with multiple authors and my guidance will help you to ensure all voices are heard within your manuscript.
Can writing my story help me to live a fuller life?
I encourage everyone, of every age, to write about their life. Some people think their life has been ‘nothing special’ but my experience is that everyone’s life counts. People who claim their life has been ‘ordinary’, when provided with mentoring support, have gone on to write the most extraordinary story – and have proceeded to walk with an extra spring in their step. If you have experienced trauma or illness, writing can assist healing and re-focusing on the beauty in life. Narrative mentoring can guide you on this path.
Can you help me to prepare a book proposal for submission to a publisher?
Yes, once your manuscript is ready, we can discuss which publishers may be interested in your story and assistance can be provided in preparing a book proposal for submission.
What are your prices?
Please reach out to me directly regarding pricing.